Propofol: Who or (What) Should be Allowed to Administer It?
Mention the word propofol before the summer of 2009 and you would have likely received blank stares unless you were speaking to a healthcare professional. That all changed June 25, 2009, when the King of Pop Michael Jackson died of what was later found to be a propofol overdose.
It’s a strange way for a clinical drug like this sedative to become part of the national lexicon—who would have thought MTV would cover propofol? But indeed, since Jackson’s death (though not necessarily because of it), much change has been brought to the world of propofol, a sedative first approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1989.