There are so many misconceptions out there about the MK-677 compound that it’s only fair that we start this article by debunking some myths. First of all, MK-677 is also known as Ibutamoren, Nutrobal or Ibutamoren Mesylate depending on who you’re talking to.
- Now, while most people assume that MK-677 is just another SARM, it’s most certainly not. Ibutamoren is a growth hormone secretagogue which puts it miles away from SARMs.
- But what makes MK-677 so popular among bodybuilders and athletes is the fact that it can activate Growth Factor (IGF-1) and Growth Hormone Levels (GH). This sounds too good to be true but if you ask anyone who’s tried it they’ll tell you the same thing – it works.
In fact, there are several clinical studies whose data indicates that Ibutamoren can effectively boost GH levels.
What is MK-677?
If you visit popular online fitness forums, you’re likely to come across a few discussions about Ibutamoren. Many bodybuilders swear by its ability to increase growth hormone levels, and it’s easy to purchase since it’s available over-the-counter.
- It’s important to note though that the available clinical data on Ibutamoren is limited at this stage. But we’ll share all the available information on this dynamite compound and what it can do for you.
- So far, we know that MK-677 has the ability to boost growth hormone production in the body while simultaneously increasing the levels of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) as well.
How does it work? Well, the data tells us that MK-677 simulates the action of the ghrelin hormone which makes it possible for it to bind with ghrelin receptors (GHSR) in the brain. Once activated, GHSR triggers a natural hormone release.
- GHSR is mostly present in areas of the brain that are responsible for regulating mood, appetite, memory, biological rhythms, pleasure and cognition.
- Therefore, it’s safe to assume that the intake of MK-677 will have an impact on these functions as well. Clinical evidence suggests that Ibutamoren does increase the appetite, which doesn’t come as a surprise considering that it acts similarly to the ghrelin hormone.
Part of what makes Ibutamoren so popular is the fact that it doesn’t affect other hormones like cortisol and mostly works to increase GH levels exclusively.
How Does It Work?
- MK-677 works by stimulating growth hormone level production which in turn improves your ability to build muscle. What happens is that from the moment you start taking MK-677 the compound acts exactly like the ghrelin hormone which allows it to bind to these hormones in the body. In so doing, Ibutamoren activates the GHSR receptors so that the growth hormone is naturally released.
- It doesn’t stop there, however, as GHSR can also affect other functions such as mood, appetite, pleasure, cognitive function and memory. So, don’t be surprised if you start noticing changes in your mood or appetite while cycling MK-677.
Of course, let’s not forget Ibutamoren’s ability to increase GH levels in the body without affecting other hormones like cortisol. You see, most other GH-boosting compounds tend to increase cortisol levels as well, which leads to a weak immune system. MK-677 doesn’t come with that side effect and yet it’s just as potent and effective at increasing GH levels.
Main Benefits of MK-677
A well-known benefit of MK-677 is its ability to increase lean body mass. As such, it can be a very effective anabolic. Most people recommend taking it orally twice per day at the recommended dose to experience similar benefits to what you’d get with growth hormone stimulators.
Due to its ability to increase IGF-1 and GH levels, Ibutamoren is a great way to create bigger muscles, reduce body mass and improve overall strength.
In fact, a double-blind randomized controlled trial with 24 obese male subjects revealed that MK-677 has the ability to increase lean muscle mass. Not only that but the subjects experienced an increase in basal metabolic rate (BMR) over a period of just two months.
Prevents Muscle Wasting
Muscle wasting is always a concern among bodybuilders, which is why many turn to MK-677 to avoid this fate. Another double-blind randomized controlled trial done with 8 food-deprived volunteers indicates that Ibutamoren can actually reverse protein loss and muscle wasting.
Yet another randomized controlled trial with 123 elderly patients showed that MK-677 can improve muscle strength in aging individuals.
Increases Bone Density
It’s a well-known fact that growth hormone (GH) has the ability to increase bone density and turnover. But the weird thing is that bone density will start by decreasing before it increases, and it can take up to 1 year to see the desired results in bone density.
A study done with 24 obese males showed that MK-677 can increase bone turnover. Meanwhile, a study involving 187 elderly adults showed that MK-677 can boost bone building in old age according to a bone turnover marker known as Osteocalcin.
Another study conducted on 292 post-menopausal women showed that Ibutamoren can also increase bone mineral density and this leads to osteoporosis prevention and boosted bone strength.
According to a double-blind randomized controlled trial on young and elderly subjects, MK-677 has the ability to improve sleep quality and duration. This is good news for any athlete that needs fast recovery from hectic training.
This is further confirmed by anecdotal accounts on online forums where many users list improved sleep quality as one of the benefits they’ve experienced when taking Ibutamoren. All in all, MK-677 is a great way to biohack insomnia and improve the quality of your sleep so that you can deliver your best performance during the day.
As we age, so does the level of muscle mass and Growth Hormone Secretion decrease. This decline usually begins in mid-puberty and continues on until we die.
To demonstrate, a double-blind randomized controlled trial with 65 elderly adults (male and female) showed that a daily intake of Ibutamoren can restore IGF-1 and GH levels to a healthy level. Plus, no side-effects were observed during the trial.
In a similar study involving 24 obese males, MK-677 was shown to significantly improve the subjects’ growth hormone profile.
Acts as a Nootropic
Another interesting effect of MK-677 is that it can act as a nootropic in some cases. This is all thanks to its ability to act as a ghrelin receptor. But there isn’t enough scientific research on the effects of Ibutamoren on cognitive performance to call it a proper nootropic just yet.
But Ibutamoren may improve cognitive function through these two indirect mechanisms:
- Ibutamoren boosts IGF-1 levels in the brain, and this hormone can improve learning ability and memory.
- MK-677 can also improve REM sleep quality and duration and sleep is a vital element to cognitive health and function.
Helps with Growth Hormone
It’s worth noting that Ibutamoren has the ability to increase IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 levels which are essential for children suffering from growth hormone deficiency. The best part is that these benefits can be achieved without affecting insulin, cortisol, thyrotropin, thyroxine (T4), triiodothyronine (T3), glucose and prolactin.
In another study involving extremely GH-deficient male subjects, MK-677 was able to effectively increase their growth hormone and IGF-1 levels without affecting their thyroid, PRL or cortisol hormone levels.
But Ibutamoren was shown to increase glucose and insulin levels in these subjects.
Side Effects of MK-677
Although Ibutamoren doesn’t come with any adverse side effects, users have been shown to experience the odd muscle pain, mild lower extremity edema, and increased appetite.
- A number of studies indicate that Ibutamoren may also reduce insulin sensitivity while boosting fasting blood glucose levels. It’s worth noting here that side effects like insulin resistance and joint pain are often experienced by individuals who have high GH levels.
- A study done on elderly patients with a high risk for fractures was terminated because the subjects experienced a number of adverse side effects, like elevated HbA1c, blood glucose, and blood pressure levels.
- The researchers even reported a few incidents of congestive heart failure. But keep in mind that the patients who experienced congestive heart failure had a previous history of heart failure and were all over 80 years old.
It’s recommended to always watch carb intake while cycling with Ibutamoren in order to keep insulin and blood sugar levels balanced. Cancer patients must also stay away from Ibutamoren because as an anabolic, it can actually help cancer cell growth. MK-677 is also not recommended for TH1 dominant individuals.
Ibutamoren has a half-life of 24 hours which means it is best taken once per day. But even a single dose of this compound can instantly increase GH levels. Tiredness and lethargy usually follow this effect, which is why it’s recommended to take Ibutamoren in two doses per day.
- This is a great way to optimize your sleep at night while improving energy levels during the day.
- For the best results, start with a daily dose of 20 to 25 mg per day for a 12-week cycle.
- Of course, you can start as low as 15 mg per day at first to reduce your chances of experiencing side effects but professional bodybuilders will benefit most from a high dose of about 50 mg per day for 8 weeks, especially if you’re just coming off-cycle.
Where Should You Buy MK-677?
When purchasing Ibutamoren, be sure to mention that you want it as a research chemical, or else no reputable vendor will sell it to you. Speaking of which, we highly recommend you buy MK-677 from a reliable supplier like Boss Peptides. These guys are trusted for their ability to consistently provide a quality product, and they’re always willing to provide you with third-party lab tests as proof of the compound’s authenticity and quality.